Today is National Macaroni and Cheese Day! Why not try making Mac & Cheese muffins for dinner – we bet you can’t eat just one!
• Kosher salt
• 2 c. uncooked macaroni
• 1 tbsp. butter
• 1 large egg
• 1 tbsp. onion powder
• 1 tbsp. garlic powder
• 1 tbsp. mustard powder
• 1 c. milk
• 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
• 2 c. shredded cheddar, divided
• 2 c. shredded fontina, divided
• 1/4 c. panko breadcrumbs
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook macaroni until just tender, 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add butter and egg and stir until butter is melted and egg is thoroughly coating noodles. Add onion, garlic, and mustard powders, then pour in the milk and cream cheese and stir until combined. Add 1 1/2 cups each cheddar and fontina and stir until macaroni is completely coated.
3. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and spoon mixture into cups. Top with remaining cheddar and fontina.
4. In a small bowl, stir together panko and olive oil and season with salt. Top mac and cheese with panko mixture and season with pepper.
5. Bake until the cups feel firm, and cheese is golden 30 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the edge of each to loosen.
6. Garnish with parsley and serve.