Looking for a perfect Valentine’s dessert? Make these pretty and delicious Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies!
INGREDIENTS FOR COOKIES:
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. buttermilk
- 5 tsp. red food coloring
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- White nonpareils, for decorating
- For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 ̊. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Put the unsweetened chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted, about 1 minute. Let cool.
- Beat the granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle in the cooled melted chocolate. Scrape the bowl and mix again. Mix in the eggs one at a time, then the buttermilk, food coloring and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. With the mixer on low speed, beat the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture in two batches. Scrape the bowl once and mix a final time until well combined. Fold in the chopped white chocolate.
- Roll generous tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place them about 2 inches apart on the prepared pans. Bake until the cookies are puffy and set, about 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes on the pans, then remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- For the filling: Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer on high speed until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Spread or pipe a dollop of the filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies to make sandwiches. Roll the sides of the cookies in the nonpareils. Refrigerate 15 minutes to set.