Are you looking for an alternative to stuffing your turkey this year? These biscuits might be exactly what you are looking for!
1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal kosher or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 scallions, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
3 Tbsp. finely chopped sage
1 (heaping) Tbsp. fennel seeds
1½ cups chilled buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°. Whisk salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, pepper, and 4 cups flour in a large bowl.
- Add butter and, using your fingers, work into dry ingredients, smashing and flattening and tossing to coat with flour, until you have some flat quarter-size pieces and some smaller pea-size pieces.
- Add scallions, rosemary, sage, and fennel seeds and toss to evenly distribute.
- Add 1½ cups buttermilk and stir mixture with a fork just until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice to incorporate any loose pieces.
- Pat dough into a 10×8″ rectangle. Using a large knife, cut in half crosswise, then stack 1 piece on top of the other. Turn rectangle so a long side is closest to you and cut dough in half crosswise again. Stack 1 piece on top of the other. (This process will build layers into your biscuits.)
- Turn dough and pat again into a 10×8″ rectangle. Cut into 12 even pieces. Place biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing evenly, and freeze 10 minutes.
- Brush top of each biscuit lightly with buttermilk and bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until golden brown, 22–26 minutes.
Recipe from www.bonappetit.com