Today is FRESH SPINACH DAY and NATIONAL LASAGNA DAY is coming up later this month, so let’s combine the two for a great, healthy and unique dish tonight!
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce container baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 23.25-ounce jar Prego Light Smart Traditional pasta sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 11×7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the lasagna to al dente according to package directions. Drain the lasagna noodles and lay them out on a sheet of wax paper. Cover them with slightly damp paper towels until it is time to assemble the rolls.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic and cook until the onions and mushrooms have softened, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Set the mushroom mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Set aside.