Elastic wear is an important key to the speed of your treatment and the results we can achieve. Elastics move the teeth in a direction which cannot be accomplished with braces alone. It may seem hard for you to put on the elastics at first; however, it will become easier with practice. Here are a few more thoughts on elastic wear:
- Elastic wear must be constant to be effective: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (unless instructed otherwise). You may remove the elastics only when eating your meals or brushing your teeth. Be sure to replace the elastics with new ones immediately following mealtime and brushing. Part-time wear does not move teeth, but it does cause them to constantly be sore.
- Change the elastics routinely even if they are not broken. After a while, elastics lose their strength. Change them at least after each meal and before bedtime. If one elastic breaks, replace both sides.
- Your teeth and jaws may be tender the first few days of wearing the elastics. This is normal and should begin to disappear within a week with constant wear. If it persists longer, please call our office.
- Carry extra elastics with you always. If you don’t have enough elastics to last until your next appointment, please stop by our office and pick more up or call us and we can send more to you.
- If you get confused about the placement of the elastic, please call 206-523-1047 and speak with one of our clinicians.